| || |
Born: 23rd June 1856 Leith, Edinburgh
Died: 9th March 1924, North Berwick.
Ben Sayers at the 4th Hole'Carlekemp' West Links, circa 1894 (A.Hutchison)
Ben Sayers Golf Clubs Awarded First Prize at 1920 Trade
North Berwick Factfile
BEN SAYERS born 23rd June 1856 at 8, Fox Lane, Leith, son of Christopher Sayers,
basket-maker and his wife Agnes McEvoy. At the age of eleven he moved with his parents to Haddington where he was given a golf
club by an uncle, but so little did he know of it's use that he shortened it, by cutting a length off the leather grip. The
young Sayers learned to play his golf by knocking about stones through the Haddington streets.
The family returned to Leith in 1870 and were living at 19 Silverfield when 14 year old Sayers was described as a 'Golf Boy' on
Leith Links. Ben was also a professional acrobat until the age of sixteen when he took up golf more seriously.
Within two years he gained a fourth place in a professional tournament in Glasgow. He later won first prize in competitions at
Dunbar, Kinghorn, Archerfield and Hoylake. During this period Ben was listed as a 'Golf Ball Maker' living adjacent to Leith
Links at 7, Bath Street. He moved to 8, Burns Street where he shared an apartment with Davie Grant and Isabella Thomson.
Ben Sayers credited his school friend James Kay as the person who taught him to play golf. Kay (b.1854) lived at 4, Burns
Street, Leith and was appointed pro at Seaton Carew (1886-1927).
In 1876, Sayers gained a reputation for making a golf ball that bounced well. He experiment with filing down rubber and mixing
it with gutta percha in an ordinary mould. Two years later Sayers entered the Open Championship at Prestwick from Leith. In 1879,
he entered the Open from North Berwick and that year married local girl, Catherine Thomson. Kate was the illegitimate daughter of
Isabella Dickson a fish hawker. His best-man at the wedding was Charlie Gibson a club maker with Tom Dunn at North Berwick. In
1880, 1881 and 1882, Sayers entered from Musselburgh, and in 1881 he was among the 22 starters at Prestwick, but withdrew when
a violet storm blow up and only eight finished. In 1883 Sayers entered the Championship from his permanent base in a row of pantiled
houses at 41 Westgate, North Berwick. (now No.47).
"Ben Sayers was a pioneer in leading his fellow pro's by
example to acquire a new respectability."
Ben's son George
recalled how as a toddler he met his first golf ball in the kitchen of their home in Westgate. His mother had the dual job
of raising four children and making golf balls for his father's business. At that time there was only one employee - his mother.
She turned out 12 dozen balls a day.
George Sayers said he could remember his mother taking the round gutta-percha rods, 4 feet long, 1 1/2 inches in diameter, marking
them with a gauge and cutting them on the guillotine. Each piece was to weigh slightly more than 28 penny weights. Balls those
days weighed 26 1/2 to 28 p.w. His father carried them in all weights in his pockets while playing. He used a heavy ball against
the wind and a lighter one with the wind.
James Law, a proprietor of the Scotsman newspaper, rented Archerfield House in the summer months, and was one of Ben Sayers first
pupils. He took a great interest in the young Sayers, and when Davie Strath died and his mould and ballmaking machine came up for auction,
James Law bought it for Sayers along with £100 of best gutta percha. It has been said that Ben Sayers owed much of his success in
life to James Law.
In May 1886 when Ben Sayers enrolled his daughter Blanche into the North Berwick Public School, he described himself as a ballmaker.
During this period he made the marks on the outer cover of the balls with a hand-held mechanical cutting machine resembling a carpenter's
plane. This produced lines that were parallel, straight and fine. Sayers had a reputation for making good quality gutta percha golf balls
which were sold by Thornton & Co., Edinburgh. Ben's brother George Sayers was pro at Beverley and East Riding Golf Club in 1891.
Ben Sayers Snr. standing 5 feet 3 inches tall, won 24 tournaments, but was fated never to win the Open. In 1888 at St Andrews,
Sayers tied with Jack Burns for the Championship on 172, and when it was found that Burns had scored 86 and not 87 in the first
round, he was awarded the Open title. Sayers tied for second place with James Anderson on 172 and shared the £8 and £6 prize
money. Jack Burns was unable to make the most of his talent and returned to caddying at St Andrews.
When Tom Dunn the club-maker left North Berwick in 1889, Ben Sayers took over his formal duties and was paid ten shillings to be in
attendance at the North Berwick New Club council meetings and to see the Tantallon members off the tee at the start of their medal
rounds. At that time James H. Hutchison from Musselburgh took over the rent of the clubmakers workshop beside the first tee. Ben
Sayers was granted a professional license on the West Links on 12th May 1891. The North Berwick New Club did not retain a golf
professional on the West Links until 1967. Ben Sayers was one of ten licensed golf professionals on the West Links, four playing
with the members and six available to give lessons. |
| Ben Sayers, Patent No. 24,473 - 1894. |
The specification consists of attaching a band or strip
of rubber, cloth, leather or other material to the handle of each club in a slanting position, so as to form a loop into which the
left hand passes to grip the club. By this means, the club cannot turn in the hand when making a stroke.
In 1893 Sayers rented a shop at 102 High Street and the following year he moved with his family to an apartment above at 98 High
Street. During this period Sayers used a ball pattern making press manufactured by J & A Bridges at their iron foundry on the
East Bay, North Berwick. The press is now on display in the British Golf Museum. In 1894, Sayers constructed a timber workshop
on the garden wall of Inchgarry House adjacent to the 18th tee on the West Links, where he had lockers for hire by the visitors,
sold golf balls and repaired clubs until 1918 when it was taken down.|
The golfers could arrange for a lesson with Davie Grant in Sayers workshop which had a large framed picture of Old Tom Morris
hanging on the wall and numerous photographs of the rich and famous on the West Links. Working from his small workshop Ben invented
an approaching club which he named 'Benny' this happened just after the advent of the Haskell ball which everyone found so
difficult to control over bunkers guarding the greens. His club was a great success and not long afterwards he invented another
club which he named the 'jigger' this was a shallow-faced iron for a longer shot. In 1898 Sayers rented a workshop at 14 Quality
Street, which was the former stables for Sir Hew Hamilton Dalrymple's Town House in the Lodge Grounds. That year Sayers described
himself as a 'golf club manufacturer' for the first time.
In 1912, Sayers opened a retail outlet at 21, Station Hill. James Hutchison the club-maker occupied the building next to the first
tee until 1913 when his son-in-law Andrew Bisset continued the business until his death in 1917. As the hardship of WW1 began to
bite and the club-makers were conscripted into the armed forces, the shop in Station Hill was closed and Sayers business moved to
the vacant workshop on the West Links. At this time Ben Sayers lived in Abbotsville, 39 Dirleton Avenue, North Berwick.
During the visit of King Edward VII to North Berwick in 1902 he watched the golfers playing 'Perfection' and the children on the
Ladies course while he toured the town in an open top carriage with two horses. Ben Sayers was presented to his Majesty by Prince
Edward of Saxe Weimar who hosted the King's visit and as such was later awarded the freedom of the Burgh. The King ordered a
set of clubs from Sayers which included four woods and six iron clubs and in the afternoon Sayers played the West Links with
the King's Equery.
Sayers greatest strength was in match play, and his most historic match was in September 1891 when he and his brother-in-law,
Davie Grant, played Hugh and Andrew Kirkaldy, a home and home foursome over North Berwick and St.Andrews. The brothers were at
the height of their power and the two little men from North Berwick were thought to have been over-ambitious. Sayers used his
Carruther's patent cleek to great effect off the tee and the North Berwick couple won so many holes over their own course as to
demoralise their opponents the whole match ended 12 up with 11 to play. The referee at St Andrews was Old Tom Morris and at North
Berwick it was Peter Brodie. The umpires were Col.Boyce and H.S.C. Everard. Among the gallery was the Chief Secretary for Ireland
Arthur J. Balfour, (Prime Minister 1902-05), Horace G. Hutchinson, sports writer and Allan F. MacFie, the first Amateur Champion
in 1885 and Davie Grant who had 2/6d on his brother-in-law to win.
It was reported that during the match Ben Sayers and Hugh Kirkaldy had a violent altercation on a green as to whether a weed
picked up by Sayers off the line of a long putt was growing, as the St. Andrews men asserted, or was lying on the ground when
lifted. This was one of many arguments that made the golf of that period an exciting game for the gallery.
In 1894, Sayers played another great home and home match - a single against Andrew Kirkaldy for £50-a-side. They played two
rounds in the one day at North Berwick and two at St Andrews a few days later. The match at North Berwick was described as a bad
tempered affair. Kirkaldy disgusted with his play gave his ball a bang from the 17th green and it ran right over the first green
on to the shore. Sayers gained six holes at North Berwick, but Andrew's first round at St. Andrews was such a fine one that the
six holes were reduced to a single one. In the afternoon that one disappeared also, and the match was square with five to go. Then
Sayers did those last five in twenty strokes, tremendous golf with a gutty, and won the match by two holes. The umpire was Edward
L. J Blyth and Sayers caddie for both matches was Big Henry Crawford. Sayers was a prominent book-keeper at important golfing
events and backed himself heavily in the match against Kirkaldy. The railway station at North Berwick had a telegraph service
and it was used to obtain the news of this celebrated match from St Andrews.
Ben Sayers and the Kirkaldy brothers are featured on a stained-glass window in the Braid Hills Hotel, Edinburgh.
The Hotel was originally a Golf Room erected to serve the golfers playing the new Braid Hills golf course. The Room was fitted
with 150 boxes for rent at 7/6d per annum and two stained-glass windows, unveiled in October 1894. The artwork was carried out by
Messrs Dobbie & Co, 86 Lothian Road, Edinburgh and the windows can still be seen today.
Ben won the stroke-play competition to mark the opening of Luffness New course in October 1894. He carded rounds of 84
and 82, for the wining total of 166 and £25 prize money. Davie Grant was second on 170 and Willie Auchterlonie, the Open Champion,
tied with Andrew Kirkaldy for third place on 175. Old Tom Morris at the age of 73 years took part, playing over the course he laid
out the previous year. The landowner Mr. H.W. Hope provided lunch for the competitors and a refreshment tent where the pros
enjoyed a whisky or three. Sayers abstained from alcohol all his life. Hundreds of spectators travelled from North Berwick to watch
the tournament in dog-carts and carriages of every description which were parked on the grass verge on the road to Aberlady.
A group of professional golfers who played in the competition to
mark the opening of Luffness|
New course in October 1894. On the left is Harry Gullane with Ben Sayers, Davie Grant
and Old Tom Morris
in the middle.
In 1906 Ben Sayers travelled to Dunbar to give lessons to the Duchess of Roxburghe and her mother Mrs Goelet. When the Duke of
Roxburghe laid out a golf course in Floors Castle, Sayers would give lessons there. To celebrate the opening of the Cruden Bay
Hotel and golf courses in 1899 the Great North of Scotland Railway Company organised an exhibition tournament played for by the
leading golfers of the day. These included the inaugural winner Harry Vardon, as well as Ben Sayers, James Braid and Archie
Simpson. Vardon received £120 prize money. |
In 1904 Sayers and Kirkaldy won the Professional Foursomes at Sandwich after an exciting final with James Sherlock and Rowland
Jones. They successfully defended the title at St Andrews when they met Ray and Jones in the final. Despite their colourful
matches, Sayers and Kirkaldy were formidable partners when they played for Scotland against England from 1903 to 1913, except 1911.
Sayers also gave lessons to Her Majesty Queen Alexandra over the nine hole course at Windsor Castle. He gave instruction to the
Prince of Wales, Princess Victoria, Duchess of Connaught and Princess Patricia of Connaught. Princess Victoria was a very keen
golfer, and Sayers partnered her in several foursome matches at Chatsworth, home to the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. During
this period Edward VII visited the seven-hole course at Chatsworth for a week in January. A.J. Balfour the Prime Minister was
among the guests and invited professionals included Jack White, J.H. Taylor and Ben Sayers.
" Sayers taught princes and nobles to play the
game, was presented to King Edward, and received a presentation from King George, when Duke of York."
| It was in teaching the game that Ben Sayers was most
influential with many of his pupils taking golf to all corners of the world including Robert Maxwell, Dorothy Campbell and
Frenchman Arnaud Massy who became the first overseas player to win the British Open in 1907. Ben's nephew, Jack White the
professional at Sunningdale, won the British Open in 1904 and his brother-in-law David Grant, also originally from Leith, was a
ballmaker at North Berwick. |
In 1908, Sayers reached the semi-final of the £400 matchplay tournament at Mid-Surrey. He beat Andrew Kirkaldy in a £100
match over North Berwick and St Andrews and again in 1911 over Suningdale and Walton Heath. Sayers beat Willie Campbell 6&5
in a £100 match over North Berwick and Prestwick.
Ben Sayers designed a number of golf courses including Moffat (1884), Rothesay (1892), Nairn Dunbar (1899) Auchterarder (1913);
the eighteen hole course at Archerfield and in 1898 Craigielaw Links for Kilspindie Golf Club. In 1898, Sayers was invited by
Lord Dunraven to lay out a private course on his ancestral estate at Adare Manor in north-west Ireland. Sayers also laid out a
nine-hole course at Ballathie (1914) in Perthshire, and a private course for Lord Lovat in Beauly estate (1910). That year
he gave advice to Coldingham and St Abbs Golf Club and laid out the Floors Castle course for the Duke of Roxburgh. Old Ben also
laid out a nine-hole course at Robinhood Golf Club at Inchicore four miles south-west of Dublin. In 1926 the club changed it's
name to Newlands Golf Club.
The last course to be designed by Ben Sayers was at Ford Valley Golf Club, Pathhead, Midlothian. The nine-hole course laid out
on land owned by the Earl of Stair was opened for play on 14th June 1924. During this period Ben Sayers suffered from ill-health
and his son Ben Sayers Jnr. took over the project at Ford Valley where he played an exhibition match with his assistant Jimmy
Black from North Berwick. The course closed at the start of WW2 in 1939.
On Monday following the 1901 Open Championship at Muirfield, Ben Sayers travelled to the Isle of Islay to play in an exhibition
match at the Machrie Hotel and Golf Links with the Open winner James Braid, Harry Vardon, John H. Taylor and Arnaud Massy for a
purse of £100. In 1901 Sayers designed the Castlerock (Mussenden) course in Northern Ireland, and in 1905 he laid out
Broomieknowe in Edinburgh. In 1906 he designed the West Monmouthshire course and that year he was invited to layout a course for
the Spey Bay Golf Club in Banffshire. Accompanied by Robert Marr from North Berwick, who on Sayers recommendation became head
greenkeeper, and with a bundle of red and white flags, they laid out the course - in 2 hours. According to the Banffshire
Advertiser, Old Ben would have liked longer but it was getting dark! Sayers joined by his prodigy Arnaud Massy and Sandy Herd
played a match at the opening of the course. In 1909, Sayers laid out the municipal course at Craigentinny, Edinburgh.
Ben Sayers played with Tom Morris in many exhibition matches at the inauguration of a golf club or the opening of a hotel such
as Dunblane Hydro, the Highland Hotels at Crieff, Strathpeffer, Pitlochry and Marine Hotels at North Berwick and Elie. In 1908
Ben Sayers attended the funeral of Tom Morris in St Andrews when his coffin was carried from the Cathedral to the graveyard by
six professionals including Andrew Kirkaldy, Davie and Willie Auchterlonie, Jack Burns, Harry Crawford from North Berwick and
Sandy Herd. Ben Sayers walked behind as his height precluded him from taking part. Following the procession was Hugh Hamilton
from North Berwick who as Links Superintendent carried the Royal and Ancient Golf Club silver club and balls draped in black velvet.
Sayers laid out an 18 hole course for Lord Lovat on his estate at Beaufort Castle, Beauly in August 1910. The course no longer exists.
In 1911, Ben Sayers was appointed pro at the newly opened Monte Carlo Golf Club, laid out by the Casino Authorities. According to
newspaper reports, his appointment was very appropriate as Sayers was known to enjoy a wager. The Monte Carlo course was high up
on Mont Agel a thousand feet above the town. Below was the shimmers blue sea with a view of the Riviera from Bordighera to the
Esterel mountains beyond Cannes. On the other side there is a wonderful view of the snow-capped Italian Alps.
The club house is a veritable palace, the players are to be brought up from Monte Carlo by motor cars and others will come up
from La Turbie, the quaint old Roman town on the Corniche road half-way up. At the La Turbie the excellent Hotel de France was
put in rediness for golfers. Sayers wintered at Monte Carlo and returned to North Berwick in the spring. The growth in the
popularity of golf in Europe can be attributed to Ben Sayers, Arnaud Massy, Tom Vardon, Alex Herd, Jack White and David Grant
Jr. Who regularly took part in exhibition matches throughout the continent. By 1912 the number of golf clubs in Europe had
increased to; France (42), Germany (19), Italy (10), Belgium (8).
During the early part of the century there was an absence of first-class challenge matches, and the public yearned with nostalgia
to the return of the golden age. This in turn brought about the first 'old timers or seniors' match, when Ben Sayers (54)
challenged Andrew Kirkaldy (51) for a stake of £50, played over 72 holes. In November 1911, an article in Golf Illustrated
enthusiastically covered the match, extolling the virtues of such an encounter, and how the two veterans remained faithful to the
old traditions, something the younger generation could take a lesson in the manner the golfing duel was fought out. After the
first 36 holes at Sunningdale, Sayers was 1 up, and following the second 36 holes at Walton Heath, Sayers triumphed 6 and 5, in
what could be said, was the forerunner of today's Senior Tour.
At the start of WW1, Ben Sayers was beyond the age of military service, but played in many exhibition matches to raise funds for
the Red Cross. One such match attracted hundreds of spectators to the West Links when Sayers played J. Douglas Edgar, the 34 year
old French Open champion. Edgar from Gosforth near Newcastle was invalided out of the army and in 1919 won the Canadian Open
and that year was appointed professional at Druid Hills G.C in Atlanta, GA. In 1920, J. Douglas Edgar was runner-up in the American
PGA championship and the following year he was tragically murdered outside his boarding house in Georgia.
| Ben Sayers in the 'Redan' bunker.
Copyright © Alex C. Hutchison
| Sayers had two sons who followed him into the professional ranks. The
eldest, Ben Sayers Jnr. was pro at Ranfurly G.C in 1905, Cuckfield G.C on Haywards Heath (1906-07), Royal Wimbledon (1908-
1912) and Berlin before returning to the North Berwick Burgh course and rejoining his father in the business. |
James 'Percy' Pearson from a fishing family living at 11 Harbour Terrace apprentice as a club maker with Ben Sayers Ltd in their
workshop adjacent to the 18th tee on the West Links. When Ben Sayers Jnr. was appointed professional at Royal Wimbledon Golf Club
in 1908 he took Percy Pearson with him to work with six other club makers. By 1911 the call of the sea was too much for Percy and
he returned to North Berwick. The Pearson family continue to fish the waters off North Berwick to this day.
Young Ben, a member of the PGA in 1902, entered the 1905 and 1906 Open Championship from North Berwick. George Sayers lived at 10,
Quality Street where he had a golf equipment shop. George taught Lord Kitchener, the conqueror of the Sudan the game of golf at
Archerfield. Kitchener played his first game at North Berwick in September 1910 with his closest friends Mr and Lady Winifred Renshaw
of Instow. When Ben Sayers Jnr returned to North Berwick he took over the house and shop in Quality Street when George emigrated to
the USA and was appointed golf pro at Merion Golf Club in Pennsylvania.
George Sayers contact in America was Rodman E Griscom of Berton, Griscom & Co. Stockbrokers, 40 Wall Street, New York. Rodman Griscom
was a founder member of Merion Golf Club in Philadelphia and his sister Francis C. Griscom was US Woman's Amateur Champion in
1900. Francis came to Scotland in 1902 and was tutored all summer at North Berwick by Ben Sayers Snr. In August that year Ben
partnered Miss Griscom in a match against Arnaud Massy and British Open Ladies Champion Rhona Adair. The match was halved in front
of a large gallery. Rodman and Francis visited North Berwick again in 1906 and 1911 and were both under the supervision of Ben Sayers
Ben Sayers Jnr partnered his cousin Jack White in the London Foursomes Tournament in 1908. Played at Banstead Downs for the Dewar
Shield, they defeated the holders Smith and Tingey in the first round. Unfortuately White fell ill and could not play in the final
and their opponents Duncan and Mayo offered to postpone the match but the committee awarded them first place.
It was Young Ben who came up with the idea of developing a driver with an extra large rounded head, deep faced which was slightly
convex, and a whippy shaft longer than standard. Old Ben named the club the 'Dreadnaught' after the little ships lying off North
Berwick. Robert Maxwell the amateur champion was given one of the first drivers which he used to great effect winning his second
championship in 1909. By then everybody wanted a 'Dreadnaught' and production through 1910 could not keep up with demand.
When the groove-faced mashies and irons appeared on the market, the British press protested against the importation of these clubs
"from America," because they made golf too easy. The so-called "American ribbed-faced" clubs-were really invented by Ben Sayers
and due to the controversy the sales at home and abroad increased dramatically.
In 1914, Ben Sayers and his wife Katie visited their son George in Pennsylvania. They sailed on the Cunard Line from Liverpool
on the S.S Lusitania. Crossing the Atlantic took five days and they arrived in New York on 17th April 1914. The following year
Sayers planned to return to America and play in the US Open. He reserved a berth on the Lusitania leaving on the 15th May 1915.
Although war was raging in Europe, passenger ships crossing the Atlantic had not been attacked. This was to change when the
Lusitania was sunk by a German torpedo on May 7th 1915 off Queenstown in Southern Ireland, when 1,201 lost their lives. Many
British professionals had reserved a place on the next voyage west on the Lusitania for the purpose of playing in the US Open but
Vardon, Ray, Duncan and Mayo cancelled. Despite the obvious risk Sayers decided to honour his business commitments in the USA and
travelled on his own.
When the ship reached New York, Ben Sayers got himself into a position on the upper deck so he could be seen by the people on the
quayside. He knew his son George was among the crowd and Ben started to make a signal by rubbing his chest violently with quick
downward strokes of his right hand, just like the old golfing fore-runners would signal their masters that the ball was lying well
and on the fairway. Ben's signal to his son was 'All's Well'. Father and son played in the US Open while their family waited
anxiously on Ben's safe return to Scotland.
This route to the USA was well used by many former Sayers apprentices. James Kelly Thomson was the first to be appointed assistant
pro to George Sayers at Merion. He was followed in 1914 by James Gullane , then Jimmy and John Richardson in 1921 and later George
Izett joined them. Cyril Goodchild went as assistant to Henry Cotton and Maynard Goldsmith was pro at Royal Cape Golf Club in
South Africa. Read more about the Ben Sayers apprentices who emigrated.
In 1920 the West Putting Green was laid out by Ben Sayers Jnr. and Andrew Gilholm, head green keeper on the Burgh course. It was
opened on 14th June 1920 and a second eighteen holes came into play in July.
In 1923, Ben Sayers was asked to make a miniature set of golf clubs for Queen Mary's Doll's House. Charlie Gibson who was Ben's
best-man at his wedding was by then at North Devon Golf Club, he made the irons and Sayers made the wooden clubs. The leather
golf bag was two and a half inches high and the clubs were three and a quarter inches long. The Doll's House was displayed at the
British Empire Exhibition at Wembley in 1924 and is now on view in Windsor Castle. The aim of the project was to raise money for
children's charities and Queen Mary wrote personally, thanking the clubmakers.
Sayers in Philadelphia gave Dorothy Campbell a lesson in 1924 when he changed her to the Vardon grip. At 41, she entered
the U.S. Women's amateur, and in qualifying shot a record 79, the first woman to break 80 in a national competition in the U.S.
Campbell went on to lift the title for the third time. |
Ben Sayers Snr. died on 9th March 1924 at 131 High Street (formerly 115), and is buried in North Berwick cemetery in
Dunbar Road. The Lair is situated on the north wall, with headstone. J.H. Taylor wrote; " Wee Ben was an inveterate and doughty
fighter. Nothing and nobody, nor any combination, could daunt his lively fighting spirit. A match need only be suggested, and
Ben was found eager and willing to enlist in the ranks, whatever the opposition might be. His small body carried within it an
indomitable heart, and he made up for his lack of physique with a great determination and knowledge of the psychology of his
opponent which was worth many strokes. He carried a very wise head on his small shoulders." |
Many fine clubmakers were trained at Sayers, including Bob Jamieson who was appointed professional at Turnberry and Alex Hay
Director of Golf at Woburn and former BBC TV Golf commentator.
In 1962, Ben Sayers Ltd was sold to Grampian Holdings, a Glasgow based company while the family retained ownership of the retail
premises at 56 High Street until 1965. That year when Ben Sayers Ltd. moved to larger premises in Tantallon Road, the steam hammer
transferred from Forth Street was secured in the new factory in a base of concrete, but when it was started up for the first time
the concrete shattered and that was the end of hand forging at Sayers. From then on the rough-cast heads were bought in and only
ground down, filed and polished in the factory.
The American golfer Doug Sanders was sponsored in the UK by Ben Sayers Ltd. His contract with Sayers agreed to pay a million
pounds if he won the Open. During the fourth round at St Andrews in 1970, Sanders had a 30 inch putt on the final green to win, but he
missed and tied with Jack Nicklaus. Sanders played well in the 18-hole play-off the following day, but was beaten by Jack Nicklaus.|
In 1998, Grampian Holdings sold Ben Sayers Ltd. to the Caledonian Golf Group and in 2002 the company was acquired by Tandem plc, a
Devon-based sports and leisure equipment buisness. In June 2003 all production of Ben Sayers golf equipment was transferred to the
Tandem Group works in Devon, before being moved to China. The Ben Sayers factory closed in North Berwick after 124 years - the end
of an era.
Ben Sayers (1856-1924). This photograph was taken in the studio of
James C. H. Balmain at 6, Station Road, North Berwick circa 1910.
| Frequently Asked Questions |
| Q Where
can I purchase a set of Ben Sayers golf clubs? |
A You can obtain the name of your nearest stockiest in
Europe by contacting the Sales Department at the address listed or by visiting the Ben Sayers
Golf Equipment website.
| Ben Sayers |
35 Tameside Drive,
Tel. (+44) 0121-748-8081
Q I have an old Benny Putter, do you know
anything about the club and how much is it worth? |
In the 1920s, the first Benny's were mashie niblicks but later the name became associated more especially with the Benny Putter.
This was followed by a version with a ridged base called the 'Gruvesol' putter. It's distinguishing features were the patent
Gruvsol and square grip. A centre-shafted version was made when this was legalised and a pistol grip was also added when passed
by the committee of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club. |
The many players who chose to use the Benny Putter included five times Open Champion Henry Cotton and Prince of Wales, later
Edward VII. The Benny Putter was manufactured between 1930 -1955 in Ben Sayers workshop at 46 Forth Street, North Berwick.
The 'Gruvsol' registered design No.718956; Steel shaft reference No. 924; Hickory shaft No.925 and Centre shaft No.926.
The square grip was made from cork, rubber composition or calf skin and
available in any length, lie or weight. At auction a Benny Putter could fetch upwards of £95.