[East Bay]
Old Photographs of North Berwick

This picture of the East Bay circa 1906, features children waiting to hire a rowing boat from the Marr family. James 'Daddy' Marr was the harbourmaster and had a string of rowing boats for hire in the West Bay during the summer season. The children are standing on a wooden gangway with a pair of wheels attached which was used to access the rowing boats at low tide. In the background is a lobster fishing boat used in better times to catch herring in it's drift nets.

The photographer is unknown but was probably taken by Alex Hutchison (below left) whose studio was at Viewforth in Forth Street. Other sources suggest it was taken by Kenneth Balmain, the son of James C. H. Balmain a well known Edinburgh photographer. Balmain established a studio at 7, Station Road, North Berwick in 1914.

[Wemyss Cup]
Bass Rock Golf Club, winners of the Wemyss County Cup in 1895. Pictured above is the winning team of Andrew Wallace, Donald Jackson, James Mitchell, and Andrew Thorburn. Seated Left - club captain Alex Hutchison, and secretary George Tait, who was headmaster of the North Berwick Public School for over forty years.
In July 1948, golf professional Henry Cotton won the Open Championship at Muirfield. The following Monday he played an exhibition match on the West Links and visited Carlekemp Priory School in North Berwick to show the pupils the famous claret jug.

[Daddy Marr]
[Swimming Pool]
Karen Kelly-Markwick Collection

In 1930, James 'Daddy' Marr (1835-1933) was the oldest Harbourmaster in the British Isles still working at the age of ninety five years.

Ian Hume, West Barns, East Lothian

This postcard of a Swimming Gala was taken during the 1930s. Scottish speed champions Ellen King and Jean McDowall (both Olympic swimmers) were coached at North Berwick at a time when a daily ticket cost six pence. Ellen King (1909-1994) was a winner of two Olympic medals, three Commonwealth (Empire) Games medals and a dual world record holder. Every swimmer of repute appeared in exhibitions at the pool, including regular visits from world famous American high board divers.

Boys practicing at the Burgh Golf Club. Copyright © Peter Lowe

[quality Street]
Quality Street - 1880

[old pier]
Galloways Pier, 1898

[West Bay]
North Berwick West Bay circa 1890    Copyright © George Washington Wilson, All Rights Reserved.


[West Links]
Parachute Cafe on the A198 to Tantallon Castle © Digitalsport UK
[West Links]
Interior of Parachute Cafe © Digitalsport UK

If you would like to share your old images of North Berwick, and displayed them here, please include the pictures in an email to seaton@northberwick.org.uk with any relevant details.

Sir John Lavery paintings of North Berwick Golf Links

More Old Pictures and Posters of North Berwick

Sir Harry Lauder Photo Collection

George Washington Wilson Photographic Collection

Home | Golf Courses | Bass Rock | Town History | Accommodation | Feedback

Copyright © Douglas C. Seaton, All Rights Reserved.