| Renaissance - East Lothian |
Course Architect Estate
History Views Layout
Renaissance Club |
Archerfield Estate, Dirleton, EH39 5HS
Head Professional: David Armitage
Tel. 01620 850 905
© Digitalsport UK
12th tee © Digitalsport UK
© Digitalsport UK
Renaissance Club at Archerfield |
RCHERFIELD is situated beside the historic village of Dirleton, three miles from North Berwick and forty minutes drive from
Edinburgh. To the north, the sandy shores of the Firth of Forth and to the west, the famous Muirfield links, home to the
Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers.
The Renaissance Club have leased 300 acres from the landowner, Hamilton & Kinneil Ltd the family trust set up by the late Duke
of Hamilton. The par-71, 7,435-yard championship golf course laid out by American designer Tom Doak was opened in April 2008.
Jerry Sarvadi the club's founder and CEO is an American businessman, and the club members are equity participants in the partnership.
Invest Archerfield LLC a US-based Limited Liability Company also founded by Sarvadi and his five brothers.
In 2011 they purchased extra land from the Honorable Company of Edinburgh Golfers on the northern edge of the property close
to the shore of the Firth Of Forth where three new holes were laid out. There is now a large practice area where the first three
holes were originally. Alterations to other holes in the centre of the course have allowed the three new holes, 9 through 11, laid
out among the sand dunes to come into play, affording the golfer spectacular views of Fidra Island.
Visit Dirleton Castle and 17th century Parish Kirk.
The property of the Renaissance Club lies to the west of the estate while on the east Caledonian Heritable Ltd have developed
Archerfield Links Golf Club, a private members club with two golf courses the Dirleton and Fidra laid out by David J. Russell.
The par4's have a good mix of long and short holes, the raised greens are firm and the traditional bunkers are well placed.
The Archerfield links hosted a European Tour event for the first time in August 2016 with the Paul Lawrie Match Play won by
Englishman Anthony Wall. The LPGA player Catriona Matthew is attached to Archerfield Links and uses the excellent practice
facilities. In 2016, Catriona was the first lady golfer to receive a Scottish Golf Lifetime Achievement Award.
The par at Renaissance remains 71, but now there are five par threes instead of four, four par fives instead of
three. The new course begins on the original 4th hole measuring 460 yards. There are no set boxes from which everyone must play,
the golfers are encouraged to choose their own tees, even mix and match within the round depending on the wind conditions.
Archerfield was the site of a golf course in the 1890s where
among others Willie Park Jnr., Ben Sayers and Harold Hilton played. |
Tom Doak the course designer at Renaissance has taken his inspiration from the courses at North Berwick, St Andrews and Muirfield
with large greens, old stone dykes and natural contours. Doak said his favourite hazzrd is short grass, not water, bunkers or deep rough. |
Approximately 84 acres of trees were originally cleared to open up the site. This is the only portion of the historic Archerfield
Estate to retain its natural windswept sand dunes. The coastal stretch of the estate has been protected for centuries by a dense pine
forest and the natural contours, untouched by the plough have required little earth moving.
The Renaissance Club and Muirfield will jointly host the Boy's Amateur Championship in August 2016. Renaissance has also been selected
as the Scottish venue for the Open Championship final qualifying from 2018 until 2021. Edinburgh-based professional Ritchie Ramsay is
attached to Renaissance.
There is significant historical interest in Archerfield Estate with a Bronze Age burial cairn 3,500 years-old; the site of a 12th
century castle at Elbotle Ridge where David 1 and William IV stayed and the remains of an 11th century mediaeval village. Among the
artifacts unearthed at Elbotle was Iron Shears from the 13th and 14th century, used to trim hair and beards. It was an expensive
item owned by a wealthy individual and is now on display in the John Gray Centre. Eldbotle means 'old place' and it was thought that
monks lived there until the village was submerged by sandstorms in the 16th century.
In May 2006, archaeologists discovered a number of rectangular clay-boned stone buildings in the area of the new 17th fairway on
the Renaissance course. Some of the buildings were very substantial in size and although a forest plantation had been planted on
top of them, many of them have survived exceptionally well with some still standing a few feet high.
Historic maps from as far back as the 16th century indicate the presence of the medieval village of Eldbotle within the
Archerfield Estate but further to the north-east than this site. This latest find could be an extension of Edbotle or could be a
separate distinct site. There was also a horse burial discovered and numerous bones and oyster shells.
| Renaissance Original 1st hole (389 yards) ©
Digitalsport UK |
Archerfield Golf Club was established on 6th April 1869 following a meeting in the Castle Inn chaired by William Palmer, the Parish
Schoolmaster. Permission to use the ground was granted by the Right Hon. R. C. Nisbet Hamilton, the proprietor and George Hope from
Fenton Barns, the tenant of the links. Originally to be called Dirleton Golf Club but this was amended following a suggestion by
Miss Nisbet Hamilton when she presented the club with a medal for competition in October 1869. Her mother Lady Mary regularly
presented a full set of Tom Morris's best clubs as a prize at the Autumn Meeting. |
The club adopted the rules of Luffness Golf Club and James Todd, farmer at Castlemains was elected the first President. In 1869,
Luffness Golf Club suggesting dates to play for the new Challenge Cup presented by the Earl of Wemyss for competition among the
Golf Clubs in the county. The secretary was instructed to reply that the dates suggested were unsuitable. The Wemyss County Cup is
now the oldest foursome competition in the world.
The nine-hole private course was played only by Archerfield Golf Club, the tenants of the mansion house, and their guests. The club
had forty members including James Bisset, the hotel proprietor, Dr. Frank Crombie, Rev. John Kerr, John Watt Muirfield Farm, Parish
School teachers Archibald Pringle (1889), Willie Hastie (1894) and James Grant (1896), and Willie McDonald who won the Hamilton Medal four
times and was allowed to keep it, although his family returned it to the club in 1889.
The Archerfield Links were also used by golfers of fame and repute such as Robert Maxwell, Freddie Tait, Harold Hilton and Johnny
Laidlay among the amateurs and Ben Sayers Sen., Jack White and Willie Park Jnr. among the professionals. Prior to the Ladies
Championship played at Gullane in 1897, a two-day competition was help over Archerfield Links with prizes donated by the members.
Over a hundred ladies took part and the winner was Annie Maxwell, sister of Robert Maxwell.
One of the largest gatherings of golfers on the links at Archerfield was in 1885 in connection with a fund raising bazaar held in
Dirleton Castle. Among the players were John E. Laidlay, George Shepherd, Donald M Jackson, Alexander M Ross and Andrew Wallace who
won the amateur competition. In the pro event Ben Sayers was first with (51), Williie Campbell was second (54) Willie Park (58) and
Bob Ferguson (58).
Lady Mary Nisbet-Hamilton proprietor of Beil and Archerfield estates and Bloxholme in Lincolnshire died 22 December 1883. She was
the eldest daughter of the seventh Earl of Elgin, her husband was the Right Hon. R.A Christopher Nisbet Hamilton who died in 1877
and is buried in Stenton Kirkyard.
As a special consideration the staff of Archerfield and their families were also allowed to golf on the course. The Watt brothers,
William, David, John, Robert and James learned to play the game on Dirleton village green and on the course at Archerfield where
their father was the estate forester. Willie and David were Scottish Professional Champions in 1912 and 1914. Willie was appointed
pro at Turnhouse and David Watt, the first left-handed player to win a championship was professional at Mortonhall.
James Law a proprietor of the Scotsman newspaper was tenant of Archerfield House for 35 summers, while John Penn MP for
Lewisham resided at Archerfield in the autumn and winter months. For many years the course at Archerfield consisted of 13 holes
until James Law extended the course to 18 holes in July 1887 with the advice of Ben Sayers. In 1909, Law persuaded Willie Watt to return to
Archerfield and look after the course. It was here Willie was golf tutor to Herbert Asquith and as a reward, Willie and his family were
invited to Downing Street to have tea with the Prime Minister. In 1908 Winston Churchill was appointed First Lord Of The Admirality
by Asquith at Archerfield House.
"Archerfield greenkeeper Peter Lees, was in great demand constructing courses in America with Albert Tillinghast and Charles B.
James Watt served his apprenticeship with Willie Park & Son before establishing his own successful clubmaking business in North
Berwick. On 1st August 1894, 20 year old Jock White set a new professional course record of 69 strokes. White was educated at
Dirleton School and apprenticed as a club maker under Tom Dunn at North Berwick. In 1899 Freddie Tait scored 63 to set a new
amateur record which was never beaten. Tait was Amateur Champion in 1896 and 1898. Jack White went on to win the 1904 Open
Championship and presented the driver he had used to his Dirleton Parish Church Sunday School teacher.
Thomas Durie and Peter Lees apprenticed as greenkeepers at Archerfield before Lees moved to Barnton and Durie was appointed head
greenkeeper at Mortonhall in 1892. Peter Lees was persuaded to move to Mid-Surrey Golf Club in 1911, where he introduced several
grass bunkers to break up the flat appearance of the course. This was so successful that the grass bunkers were enlarged to create
the 'humps and hollows' which looked so natural. This was the making of Peter Lees's reputation and he emigrated to America where
he worked on numerous projects with golf course architects such as Charles B. Macdonald, Albert Tillinghast and Seth Rayner.
John Shiells born in 1881 was the elder brother of Archie Shiells, greenkeeper on Archerfield links. They lived with their parents
John and Jane Shiells in Ivy Bank, Dirleton. John served an apprenticeship as a club-maker before moving to Maryport Golf Club on
the Solway Firth in 1906. The following year he was appointed the first professional at Kendal Golf Club where he remained for 45
years until his retired in 1951. Golf clubs stamped with John Shiells are popular with collectors.
In 1911, Prime Minister Herbert Asquith spent the summer at Archerfield House as the guest of one of his Tennant brother-in-laws.
Asquith invited Winston Churchill and his wife to join him in September. Asquith and Churchill played golf over the private nine-hole
course when Churchill accepted the appointment as First Lord of the Admiralty.
Fidra Golf Course
In 1923 a group lead by Messers Hunter and Laidlaw were in negotiations with Colonel Nisbet Hamilton Grant owner of Archerfield
Estate to purchase land in the area of Yellowcraig and establish the Fidra Golf Club. They proposed to erect a clubhouse in the
grounds of Link House Wood west of Invereil House and that year they made enquires to North Berwick Town Council regarding the
cost to supply gas and water to the premises. Former Provost John MacIntyre was also involved in this project. He had previously
been in lengthy negotiations to purchased the ground on behalf of North Berwick Town Council for a relief golf course.
In 1922, Grant benevolently gave a piece of ground to the villagers of Dirleton where a nine-hole course was laid out and tended
by a band of 30 local enthusiasts. It was known as the Fidra Golf course and survived until 1940 when the land was commandeered by
the Ministry of War. Archerfield Estate is named after the field where the archers of Edward I pitched their tents when they
invaded Scotland in 1298. Archerfield Wood is called the Garden Seawood in Robert Louis Stevenson classic 'The Pavilion On The Kinks'.
| Copyright © Douglas Seaton 2015, All Rights Reserved. |