John Watson Laidlay, an Indigo manufacturer in Calcutta acquired the estate in the 1870s which then passed to his son. In 1890, Andrew Laidlay constructed the harbour on Ghegan Rock (right) using a steam engine and compressed air to cut the stone. The harbour believed to be the smallest in Britain, was once busy with small cobbles working stake nets for salmon off the River Tyne. The ancient landmark on the South Car rock named St Baldred's Beacon was originally built by monks and rebuilt by the Laidlays.
In 1919, John R. Dale bought the estate after being tenant farmer of Scoughall since 1848, and Auldhame since 1834. The three estates remain to this day in the ownership of the Dale family.